Friday, January 16, 2009

What's Open Right Now - Books, Juvenile

I read books from every shelf in the library. I think we all need a change of persepctive every now and then. Pick up a book from a shelf you've never visited!

1/16/2009: Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors, Jenny Nimmo, This was another case of being drawn in by the cover. Lovely pastel drawing similar to Mary GrandPre. I just find these magically endowed kids very amusing. I love the idea of the Pets' Cafe where there is a bouncer who will not let you in without a pet. This was my "waiting for Harry Potter" series. It's much more light-hearted than the later Harry Potters. =^..^=

1/15/2009: Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris, R. L. LaFevers sequel to Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos Adult fans of Amelia Peabody mysteries will enjoy these tales of a precocious young Egyptologist, her cat Isis, and the disturbingly cursed artifacts shipped to Britain from Egypt. Young readers starting the Harry Potter series would most likely find young Theodosia's adventures thrilling. =^..^= Also melds well with A Great and Terrible Beauty. I'm not the only one in the house to relish bright Theodosia, my mother read Staff of Osiris through two times in one evening. I do hope there will be more plucky Theodosia adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment