Saturday, September 12, 2009

Proteus

thumb|120px|Key to figures {{en}}The 8th plate...Image via Wikipedia

I had a lovely blog post completely written...and then internet service went down before it was saved, sigh.

I've always stopped to look at the books with artwork by Ernst Haeckel in Dover Publications' catalog. I bought the book Art Forms in Nature and then eventually the copy with the CD. Dover has recently started publishing books of vector art and other clip art with great sources. A price check led me to purchase a book on microscopic botanicals an Amazon and while there I discovered a more complete book of paintings and a movie. A DVD I was sure would never be in the county holdings, but it was and it's an amazing film.

Twenty-two years ago, long before computer graphic software could have cut down on production time, David Lebrun began an investigation into Haeckel's art and life. The film cuts across so many disciplines: art, science, taxonomy, religion, evolution, creationism and literature that there's something for every naturalist, artist or scientist to appreciate. I give the film way above five stars!

Next to explore: some of Haeckel's own writings, the museum created in his house in Germany, Gustave Dore's etchings and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment